Can Generative AI Generate Culture?
An insightful deep dive into the role of generative AI and its effect on culture. Join us for an exclusive chance to hear from experts in the field of Art, Music, Education, AI, and Culture.
Generative AI can create a wide variety of outputs, including art, music, literature, and other cultural artifacts. Whether these creations can truly be considered “culture” is a matter of debate. Some argue that AI-generated content lacks the human touch and context necessary to be considered part of a cultural tradition, while others see it as a valuable addition to the ongoing evolution of culture. Ultimately, the impact of generative AI on culture will depend on how it is used and integrated into the broader social and cultural context.
- What is the effect of generative AI on cultural norms and values?
- What are the ethical implications of using generative AI to create art, literature, or music?
- How has generative AI changed the way we approach and understand the concept of originality in creative works?
- Renée van Holsteijn – AI Speaker & Moderator
- Roel Lutkenhaus – Founder of New Momentum
- Cynthia Liem – Associate Professor at the Multimedia Computing Group at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) and the pianist of the Magma Duo.
- Ksenia Fedorova – Assistant Professor at Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society
- Sonia de Jager – Doctoral Researcher on Philosophy of AI, Lecturer Willem de Kooning Academy
Program June 1, 2023
15:00 – 15:30 Welcome (Coffee & Tea)
15:30 – 16:00 Introduction -and presentation on the topic by Renée van Holsteijn
16:00 – 17:00 Panel Discussion & Audience Interaction
17:00 – 18:00 Networking drinks
This event is brought to you by ECDA and Convergence AI, Data & Digitalization. Convergence is a program between Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus MC, TU Delft, and Leiden University in which we cross the boundaries between institutes and disciplines to create new perspectives and solutions.